This solution installs on WordPress framework (most popular site framework powering 1/5 of top online sites with increased reliability and security).
You need to have WP running on your site before installing Live Streaming functionality.
If you host with VideoWhisper, WP can be installed automatically from CPanel with Softaculous. Our staff can also assist on request.
Some browsers like Chrome require HTTPS for allowing publishing of webcam: WordPress URL should be configured with HTTPS if supported by host. VideoWhisper plans include SSL certificate and automated HTTPS configuration (becomes available shortly after pointing domain to web host).
II. Plugin Installation
Before installing, make sure your hosting environment meets all requirements.
Advanced features like listing/importing archives, scheduling playlists require both web and rtmp on same server and specific rtmp side content path configuration. Transcoding and HLS delivery requires Wowza and FFMPEG with specific codecs on web host. Broadcasting from Chrome requires HTTPS. All these are available with VideoWhisper turnkey Wowza hosting plans.
- If you’re not hosting RTMP with us go to RTMP Application Setup for installation details. Our plans include management of rtmp side and rtmp address is provided with hosting info.
- Search the VideoWhisper Live Streaming plugin and install it directly from WordPress admin area OR download latest WordPress PHP + Widget Plugin zip version and copy the files from the zip file including folder structure to your wordpress plugins folder: you should obtain wp-content/plugins/videowhisper-live-streaming-integration .
Always update plugin to latest version when adviced from WP backend.
- Enable the plugin from WordPress admin area and fill the settings, including rtmp address there.
Navigate in WP admin dashboard to Live Streaming > Documentation menu where you will find a Quick Setup Tutorial section with steps and links to configure plugin. Briefly:
- From Live Streaming > Settings in WP backend and configure settings (it’s compulsory to fill a valid RTMP hosting address – see requirements)
- From Appearance > Menus add Channels and Broadcast Live pages to main site menu.
Users will be able to setup & broadcast channels from Broadcast Live page and these will get listed on Channels page.
- From Settings > Permalinks enable SEO friendly structure : Post name. This requires mod_rewrite with Apache.
- Install and enable a billing plugin to allow owners to sell channel access
- Install and enable the VideoShareVOD plugin to enable video broadcast archiving, video publishing, management.
- Optionally, if you want to enable membership upgrades based on same tokens billing system used for content access and tips, add the Paid Membership plugin.
When ready to go live, you should get a full mode license, if you don’t have one, yet.
Available plugin settings and options are documented in plugin backend and organised in multiple sections: Server, Integration, Broadcast, Premium Channels, Channel Features, Playlists Scheduler, Watch, Watch Limit, Watch Params, Billing, Tips, Mobile, Custom App.
Plugin uses WP shortcodes and hooks (actions, filters) to implement its functionality so most themes that meet WP standards will work.
A theme with wide content area (preferably full page width) should be used so videochat interface can use most of the space.
Get a professional WordPress theme to skin site.
Some tested themes: Jupiter, Impreza, Elision, Sweet Date 4U.
WP themes install automatically from WP backend.
After ordering solution and setting up existing editions, VideoWhisper.com staff can customize these for additional fees depending on exact requirements.
Software consists of VideoWhisper web apps that can be customised with parameters / by replacing interface skin images and the integration code (plugin) including php, js, css, settings that can be changed as needed. New options, features or changes in the app can be implemented by VideoWhisper developers.
Solution can be used in combination with any other WordPress plugins, as long as these meet WP coding standards and don’t break core hooks and features. Tens of thousands of plugins are available to add and improve site features.
You can start from a professional logo template.
- Contents: Site pages, menus, categories and sections can be edited from WP CMS backend.
Also depending on site membership, users should have menus to access registration, login and site features. Plugins that show special menus to site visitors and logged in users can be used.
- Design/Interface adjustments:
After selecting a theme to start from, that can be customised by a web designer experienced with WP themes. A WP designer can also create a custom theme (that meets WP coding requirements and standards).
Solution specific CSS (like for listings and user dashboards) can be edited in plugin backend.
Videochat skin graphics can be edited by replacing interface images. Videochat application layout and functional parameters can be edited in plugin settings.